Tuesday 26 March 2013

Soundtrack research

To research throughly the soundtrack possibilities I am going to investigate several already used soundtracks within a film and analyse what effects they give the trailer. I will also look into non-copyright music that has been uploaded to the internet that I could use. Then I will also look into producing my own score for the trailer.


Below are 4 trailers ranging from old to brand new, each has a very different type of music for the soundtrack.


The First soundtrack to analyse is that of SAW, although SAW itself isn't a great movie it sticks to the conventions of the previous films very well, this is a great way to bring back fans of the previous SAW films. The music for this trailer is the same used in many of the other SAW trailers and even some of the SAW films. The music itself is very quick, and also uses very dramatic noises and instruments within it. One of the special things about this soundtrack is that it is so recognisable, which is the main USP of this soundtrack. One of the great things it does is build up, it layers very well until it is not just a single layer violin, but a full orchestra. Also on the second drop it uses something very unconventional which is to use the drums in that sort of way, they are played as if cut from a rock song. However within this score I think it works very well as it makes the piece even more distinguishable and unique. In my eyes this soundtrack is very successful due to its individual style that could be a likened to that of a action soundtrack, however it works well within the context to help build the SAW brand.




Although not a Horror film this Soundtrack could not be left out of my analysis. In my eyes it is one of the most successful soundtracks for any film, I think this for several reasons. One of them being its unique and recognisable sound. The intro of the song being the 'duh duh' noise is so well known when played even people who haven't seen the film know where it comes from.



I like the music in this trailer, its very creepy and was very original for the time. Then the music layers and then becomes fast pace with the creepy violin still playing underneath the fast paced drums. I also think another effective technique used in this is the voiceover that explains the basic storyline to the audience. 



This is the trailer for Paranormal activity 4. In this there isn't any music in this, however there are sound effects used throughout to make the atmosphere tense and scary. This is a effective use of sound effects and will help to make the trailer scarier. 


I have looked into creating my own score for the movie as this would be completely uncopyrighted. I have previous experience within a Music production software called GarageBand. I have tried playing around with it to try and create some music that I would my movie. Below is the score I have created that we could possibly use in our Faded Delusion trailer.



These two tracks I created and produced myself for the trailer of Faded Delusion. In both of them I created them to layer to help create tension and make the trailer more scary for the audience. I believe they would be effective in the trailer, however I feel they would be more suited to a action film and possibly and creepier track would be more effective for my Horror film.

No comments:

Post a Comment